Chicken wings for football. w/g-view

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Brian, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Jack of all grills and master of none. Staff Member

Soaked these in butter milk. Coated in rub. Smoked for a hour then finished on the grill

[​IMG]

2. TulsaJeff

TulsaJeff Grilling steaks and takin' names! Staff Member

What is your purpose for the buttermilk? I have used buttermilk on wild game before to remove some of the gamey flavor but never on wings.

3. Brian

Buttermilk helps to make the chicken tender. I like it better than a simple brine.

4. TulsaJeff

TulsaJeff Grilling steaks and takin' names! Staff Member

Interesting.. I did not know that. Making a note to try that soon!

5. CulturedHick

CulturedHick New Member

Like Jeff, I have marinated wild game in buttermilk to reduce the "gamey" flavor, but have never used it with any other meat.

Thanks for the idea, Brian! I am going to try this with wings soon.

6. PoRkLvR

PoRkLvR New Member

I did some wings last week and marinated them in buttermilk for about half a day before seasoning and grilling. My wings had great flavor, some of my best in that regard but we didn't like the texture the buttermilk gave the chicken. It was so tender that it was mushy....didn't feel like chicken. Maybe I'll give it another try but with less time in the buttermilk.

Those wings look amazing tho Brian!!

7. Brian

I only brine for a hour or 2 with the buttermilk. If its whole bone in chicken I do half a day if not overnight.

8. :cool:
    Butter milk just makes them taste better to me and the other half of the south.

9. old_dog

old_dog New Member

Used to do a buttermilk/hot sauce marinade for fried chicken. From (slowly decaying) memory, a pint of buttermilk to a half cup of Louisiana Hot Sauce (get the BIG bottle!) Buttermilk mellowed out the heat, but flavor was terrific. I'm going to have to try that with wings on the grill!