Grilling corn... How do you do it....

Discussion in 'Fruits and Vegetables' started by DaveOmak, Sep 21, 2012.

1. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Member

Bride is wanting to make "Roasted Corn Salad" with corn (duh), zucchini, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, bells, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, garlic and sugar and there is probably more.... Bride doesn't give out all the ingredients for some reason..... I think that is all the ingredients...
    This is the last of our corn for the year so here goes.... How to roast corn.... All the recipes call for removing the silk, rewrapping the ear with the leaves and soaking for 15 minutes in water and cooking on the grill....
    I know I read somewhere that silk will come off easily when something is done somehow when cooking corn.... I guess I am asking what will happen if I cook with the silk on, (au natural).... You'd think, as old as I am, I have done this before.... Wrong.... a newbie at roasting corn here.....

2. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Member

Well, I am happy to report.... All went very well... Except the jalapenos and cilantro did get forgotten... Roasting the corn, after soaking for 3 hours, the silk came right off no problem... Jalapenos and cilantro would have made it better but it was good.. Sitting in the refer overnight would have melded the flavors better.... live and learn... Quite a task making this salad.... Glad bride undertook it and not me... the kitchen was a mess.... we have enough for 3-4 days so I guess it was worth it... may add japs and cil to it today..... Dave

Corn on the grill.jpg Veggies.jpg tomatoes.jpg Money.jpg

coyote1 likes this.
  3. coyote1

coyote1 Member

looks good Dave
    I have tried corn on the smoker soaked it for about a hour then mixed my rub with butter then buttered them and smoked not sure how long I smoked them
    how long did you cook them on the grill

4. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Member

Grilled about 40 minutes with all 4 burners on low, lid down.... Grill therm read 400 deg.... The kernels did not get browned, which I thought they would... Darn.... I guess I could have put them back on without the husk to brown up a bit.... Like Ann Burrell says, "Brown food is good" ... Bells got a little soft, should not have grilled them... the crispy sweetness would have been better in the salad.... "Every day you learn something doesn't count toward days spent looking at the green part of the grass".... We are adding cilantro and New Mexico Big Jim's from the garden today and some pickled Jalapeno's from the jar.... If we keep adding stuff, the salad should last for a week.... Dave

5. Brian

Brian Jack of all grills and master of none.

Dang Dave that looked great.

6. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Member

After all the additions, it still lacked something... Bride added Badia Mojo marinade and that gave it the finishing touch of citrus and spices that made it very good...