Leaping frog chicken, pasta from scratch, alfredo sauce and burrata

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Squirrel, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Squirrel

Squirrel New Member

Howdy all,

I haven't been around in a while and I must admit it's because I completely forgot about this forum. I'll start hanging around more now that grilling season is in full swing. Actually all year round is grilling season to me, but seems I do a bit more at this time.

My friend RichTee sent me a sample of his "Nekkid Brine" to try out so this is what I did. First, let me share the whole concept behind his madness. The brine is suppose to draw in flavors to the meat, so add in fresh, dried, whatever flavor you are looking for in the finished product. Here's my brine additions:

I was going for a simple lemon pepper and sage, but I didn't want something you shake from a bottle. I used chicken broth instead of water, lemons, Vidalia onions, garlic, thyme, crushed black peppercorns. I also browned some butter and tossed in several sage leaves. I dumped all that in to the brine as well.

[​IMG]

I spatchcocked the bird using the leaping frog method. I prefer this method as it is quick and well, it just looks cool. :p

[​IMG]

I added fresh lemon zest and crushed peppercorns.
    [​IMG]

Here's a few pics on the grill. I cooked the chicken offset with a pan underneath to catch the juices. I added browned butter and sage to the pan to baste. I used a limb of rosemary to do the basting. The breasts were ready before the dark meat, so I foiled them, not sure if that does any good or not though. Also getting a little done on the legs so I foiled that too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I made homemade pasta. I use 1.5 cups of flour to 2 eggs. If using store bought large eggs it would be 1.1 flour to eggs, but these were farm fresh eggs that were a bit smaller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you wanna have a little fun with your pasta add in some fresh herbs and roll a few times. You get the flavor of the herbs and it's wonderful. I don't recommend doing the whole batch like that as it tends to be a bit overpowering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pasta machine is an Imperia made in Italy.

[​IMG]

Hanging to dry a bit.

[​IMG]

Bird resting. Let's make Burrata! It's a cream filled mozzarella sorta. I made homemade mozzarella, but instead of all the stretching that makes mozzarella, well, mozzarella, you divide it in to six pieces, or divide in half and stretch one half for mozz and use the other half for Burrata. In that case you divide half in to thirds. Take one piece and shred it up all fine and add some heavy cream. The heavier the better. This takes on the consistency of ricotta. Take the other two pieces and stretch them in to circles and make a pouch in your hand. Divide the creamy goodness between the two and twist. I sat them in warm whey until time to eat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stretching the other half for mozzarella to eat later. :)

[​IMG]

I got the salted water boiling for the pasta as it only takes 4-5 minutes tops to cook. I started the alfredo sauce using brown butter and fried more sage leaves to use for garnish. I used parm that had been aged over 24 months and heavy cream I got from the local dairy a few miles down the road. I don't salt it because of the salt in the parm. Add a few grinds of pepper. Cooked the pasta then tossed in the alfredo sauce. So delicious and so simple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I slow roasted asparagus, heirloom tomatoes and baby squash. Here's a plated pic and my favorite - the gratuitous close up fork shot. LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at all that creamy goodness running out of the burrata. The whole meal was wonderful. Rich's brine was spot on. the meat was very tender and juicy. Only thing I would have done differently is add more salt. I wasn't sure what to expect and I guess it's better to add more after the fact than have an oversalted bird.

Thanks for looking!

TulsaJeff likes this.
  2. Brian

Brian Jack of all grills and master of none. Staff Member

Dang that looks great. Thanks for sharing Cheryl

3. TulsaJeff

TulsaJeff Grilling steaks and takin' names! Staff Member

Looking great as usual, Cheryl;-)

4. marite

marite New Member

Excellent!!!

Thanks for the brinning lesson, never thought about using chicken broth, I'll give your method a whirl, also had to look up Burrata, sounds interesting, the next batch of mozz I'll give it a try too.