Venison Brats with g-view

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by Brian, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Jack of all grills and master of none.

Made 100lbs of vension sausage for my buddy last year. This is 25lbs of brats.

[​IMG]

2. Denny74

Denny74 Member

That looks great. I cant wait for deer hunting this year.

3. :cool:
    Looks good Brian now send me some.....................

4. Denny74

Denny74 Member

What seasonings did you use for you sausage? My family is going to get together and make a bunch with the deer we got. Any tips would be helpful.

5. Brian

This was done with AC Leggs spice that I got from columbiaspice.com. Its a really good brat mix.

6. Dwight

Dwight New Member

I can recommend two commercial brat spice mixes. Witts 1449 and 1503. Very different but both good. We use these as a base recipe for 50/50 venison and pork. Then the fun. We will add a bottle of jerk sauce, BBQ sauce or olives, sauerkraut, jalapeno, high temp cheese, pineapple, green onion etc in combination or alone. All are good, sometimes stuffed and sometimes not. If we smoke the stuffed sausage then cure is added. Each family member has a favorite.

7. Brian

I do a 75/25 mix.

8. Dwight

Dwight New Member

Depending on the porks fat content, I adjust as well. In most sausage I am a 70/30 venison/pork person but brats need a bit more pork imho. Funny you should comment on the mix. My last 25 lb. batch of hunter smoked sausage was 10#pork, 2#elk, 2#beef, 1#turkey and 10#deer. Though grilled is preferred, the Geo. Forman also does a good job when it is ND cold out!